*About 15 percent of U.S. workers, or 19.2 million workers, are under the influence of alcohol at least occasionally while on the job.
*Over 10% of workers have to reported to work with a hangover in the last year
*7% drank during the day
*75% of illicit drug users are employed (90% by small to medium size businesses who do not test.)
*Managers are more likely impaired on the job than are their reports.
*Workplace alcohol use is more prevalent with men than women, younger workers than older ones, unmarried than married, and more use by employees working on the evening shift, night shift, and irregular shifts.
Symptoms of drug or alcohol use include (but are certainly not limited to…
- Decreased performance & absenteeism
- Drowsiness & mood swings
- Poor judgment
- Lower morale/self esteem & increase in conflict with others
- More accidents
- Frequent “flu-like” symptoms
- Disruption of space and distance judgment
- Slower physical reflexes and poor coordination; dilated pupils
- Forgetfulness and diminishing mental powers